Tuesday, June 22, 2010

oily update


This will be the first time I've mention the huge oil spill in the gulf, I've steered away from filling my blog with images of oil covered beaches, sea life and devastation. I began my weekly now daily trips to our local beach back on May 3 the oil hadn't arrived and talk was everywhere about what to expect and when it would finally reach our white sandy beaches well about a month later we had the first tarballs hit and a few days later sheets of oil the smells arrived way before any oil hit the beaches and I question it's effects on us so I thought fitting to post a photograph of mine from a few weeks ago, I just hope it doesn't lead us all on the gulf coast to this.


                 
                                     Kate Mercer / Mobile Press Register via AP
Sonja Daniel, who has a house on the Fort Morgan Peninsula, wears a mask Sunday as she sunbathes on the beach of the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge in Baldwin County, Ala. She told ABC News that the fumes from the oil washing ashore sickened her, so she brought a gas mask to the beach. Sunday, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour angrily blasted news coverage that he said was scaring away tourists by making it seem as if "the whole coast from Florida to Texas is ankle-deep in oil."

No comments: